Friday, January 28, 2011

Basundi

I had basundi as a very young kid, and had forgotten about it for many years.  After about 15 years, the first time I had it was my own.  I usually try to make items with minimal ingredient needs but am willing to put in effort.  This is one of those simple yet time-consuming options.  Its appeal is from the richness of the ingredients, so definitely not for the calorie-counters.

Here's my version - This makes dessert quantity for 2.

What you need:

  • Half & Half - 1 pint
  • Milk (optional) - 1/2 cup
  • Sugar - 6 Tbs
  • Pistachios & Almonds - handful
  • Cardamom/Elaichi - pinch
Method:
  1. Simmer the half & half (and milk) on low heat in a big saucepan, while stirring often until it thickens further and the quantity reduces in half. (about 45 mins)
  2. Add sugar and simmer for another 15 mins.
  3. Add crushed/ground nuts and cardamom and remove from heat.
Tastes amazing warm or chilled.  I had one cup each way :P


2 comments: